ICTP-East African Institute for Fundamental Research
KIST2 Building CST
University of Rwanda
The PhD programme at EAIFR is in physics, with research specialization in one of the following broad areas:
- High Energy Physics
- Condensed Matter Physics
- Solid Earth Geophysics
Admitted students will be taught and supervised by EAIFR resident scientists and co-supervised by scientists at ICTP Trieste and possibly others around the world based upon mutual interests and the research proposal of the students. Our High Energy Physics scientists work in cosmology and particle physics phenomenology, Condensed Matter Physics is mainly in electronic structure theory while Geophysics will be centred around seismology, space geodesy and tectonics.
Duration of the PhD Programme
Maximum time duration of four years.
Mode of attendance
The PhD programme is completed through in-depth research that breaks new ground in the field and contributes to overall scientific knowledge. Research publications are expected from students as well as a final dissertation thesis before graduation.
- PhD application deadline: 11 March, 2020
- Deadline for notification of selection: 20 March, 2020
- Registration and commencement of research: 1 October 2020
- Bachelor’s degree with honours in physics, mathematics, or a related field, with distinction (cumulative grade point average of at least 70%).
- Master’s degree in physics, mathematics, or a related field.
- It is advisable for applicants to contact the EAIFR scientific staff in order to find areas of common interest for PhD research. The research interests of our staff can be found here.
- Selection of candidates will be based on their university record and on academic recommendations.
- Copies of degree, academic transcripts and certificates (in English). Note that successful applicants will need to supply notarized copies of these documents upon admission.
- Documents that show that the students can follow instructions in the English language.
- Contact details of two referees who can make comprehensive comments about the applicant’s abilities, past studies, and work.
- Updated CV and ID or Passport copy
- A proposal of the intended PhD research