ICTP-East African Institute for Fundamental Research
KIST2 Building CST
University of Rwanda
MSc Application Guidelines
How to apply to ICTP-EAIFR's master's programme in physics
Applications are being accepted for the 2020-2021 academic year. Deadline is 31st March, 2020. Final selection of candidates will be made by 30/June/2020.
The University of Rwanda (UR) through the ICTP East African Institute for Fundamental Research (EAIFR) is offering a two-year Masters programs in Physics with specialisations in High Energy Physics, Condensed Matter Physics, and Geophysics. The quality of the Masters courses will be at the same level as the Postgraduate Courses given at the International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP) in Trieste Italy. In the first year, students take the same basic physics courses designed to bring them to an advanced level in preparation for the second year in which they specialise into one of the three areas mentioned above. Students who successfully complete their programs will obtain MSc degrees from the University of Rwanda.
Mode of Attendance
By full-time course work (offered by modules) and a final thesis at the end of the second year. All courses will be given at the ICTP-EAIFR building on the UR Nyarugenge campus in Kigali, Rwanda.
Bachelors degree with honours in Physics or Maths with distinction. The selection of candidates will be based on their university record and on academic recommendations.
- A limited number of scholarships are available for the top performing students.
- The University fee structure is downloadable from the University of Rwanda's website: https://admissions.ur.ac.rw/
- Rwandan students are encouraged to apply to the Higher Education Council (HEC) for funding.
Key dates for this call
- Opening of online application process: 20th December, 2019
- Closing of online application process: 31st March, 2020
- Selection process and Admission process: 1st April - 30th June, 2020
- Opening of registration process: 31st July, 2020
- Closing of registration process: 30th August, 2020
- Starting date of the programmes: 15th September, 2020
Documents required for application
- A cover letter which should contain the candidate's motivation to join the program
- Detailed curriculum vitae
- Copies of academic certificates (Notarised copies will be required before admission)
- Copies of academic transcripts (Original/notarised transcripts will be required before admission)
- Two recommendation letters from academic referees who are knowledgeable about the applicant and their studies.
- Documents that give proof of the student's ability to follow advanced-level courses study and write scientific literature in the English language.
- Copy of national identity card or passport
How to Apply
Application can be done either by:
A) Applying online at: https://e-applications.ictp.it/applicant/login/9011.
B) Through the UR Center for Postgraduate Studies (CPGS):
- Go to UR Website http://www.ur.ac.rw/
- Go to "Admission", "Applicant Portal" and click "New Application"
- Fill the Biographical Form and click "Save", at the end you will get "Your Student ID Reference Number" and create PIN.
- Please keep this ID Number as it will be your ID identification for all transactions at UR.
- Go to the Bank and pay your application fees using your student ID Reference Number of (10,000 FRW for Rwandan and EAC candidates and 12,000 FRW for International Student)
- Candidates are requested to submit all required documents by using the link: http://pgfile.ur.ac.rw/pgfile/findme.php.
NB: All documents must be in PDF
If all required documents are not submitted you failed to go to the next step.
When your submission succeed, you will find a message in your email box.
COLLEGE ACCOUNTS TO BE USED DURING APPLICATION
Bank: Bank of Kigali
Account Name: UR COLLEGE OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
Account Number: 00094-00651935-36
Swift Code: BKIGRWRW
NB: APPLICANTS SHOULD USE THEIR ID REFERENCE NUMBERS AND THEIR FULL NAMES DURING PAYMENT
For any additional information, clarifications or inquiry, please do not hesitate to contact:
A) Centre for Postgraduate Studies Officer - Email: email@example.com
B) ICTP East African Institute for Fundamental Research - Email: firstname.lastname@example.org